Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rain, Rain, Rain, and Wind, Wind, Wind.

So, let's see, what have I been up to this past week?

Well, mostly art since I DO go to school (although I know it may not seem like it sometimes on here haha). I had some minor struggles catching Robert (the school groundskeeper/van driver/ repairman) in the art shop so it took me about three days to get the rest of what I needed for painting. Once I got him though I finally bought my canvas and gesso and I've stretched a larger piece of canvas over a wood board so I can start my portraits. I also found some smaller pieces of scrap wood in the 3D lab which I gessoed and left plain for painting and charcoal sketches. I decided to do a few decent sized portraits for painting of some of my fellow students. I have a few in mind that I would like to paint and the portraits will be about 25x30 inches (maybe larger depending on how they look). I'll probably get in a good 3 or 4 while I'm here, hopefully. I'm pretty excited to start since the only painting I've really done so far is a few self portraits and a sloth for fun.

As for photo, the last assignment we had was called Place as Identity and I did a series of night photos. I've decided I'm not going to be doing any photo portraits while I'm here. I mean that might change depending on what would fit into the assignment, but at least not portraits like I've done in the past. I'm allowing myself a little break from that because it was stressing me out last semester. We had a critique for the last assignment already and it went very well. I got some great feedback and I was very happy with the photos I got out of it and I will probably be continuing to take night photos here because it was fun. This place is wonderful for long exposure night photos. Anyways, for the next assignment we have to capture Nothing as Something. So far what I think I'm doing for this is photographing light and how it creates atmosphere. The assignment is sort of a "transcendent object" assignment, which I've done before with painting, but with photo it's a little more fun because it's kind of like scavenger hunt. I'll be talking to my professor about my idea and showing her what I have so far on Monday so we'll see what happens with my idea after that.

Here are the photos from my first assignment











Life drawing has been going well. It's just nice to be able to draw a model for a few hours, nice to draw in general. It is very much like the drawing the body class I took last year only without the out of class assignments so in that sense it's a little repetitive, but I like the professor so that's good. I'll post some of those drawings once I photograph them.

So that's how my art has been going so far. It's been so windy this week, like out of this world windy. It's been kind of hard for anyone to do anything due to lack of motivation. Thursday it sounded like a hurricane in our studio since it's on the second floor, it shook the roof and windows and made terrifying noises. The wind is so strong we are literally getting thrown around and it's hard to get from one place to the next without hearing slamming doors and seeing people fighting against the wind. It's all pretty incredible. It's also been raining a lot.

Yesterday we went on our second Irish studies trip. This one focused on the flora and fauna of Ireland and the Burren. Unfortunately I don't have any photos from our 2 hour hike because I accidently left my memory card at home, but it was so incredibly windy I'm kind of glad I didn't have it. We hiked through the valley towards the coast and luckily most of the way the wind was at our backs, however, the closer we got to the coast the more that changed and Mandy, Hannah, and I had quite a laugh as we attempted, after falling behind, to catch up to the group.

We saw some wildlife though, despite the terrible weather. There were lots of wild goats going up the mountains. They were so neat to see. Lots of cows, a couple Connemara ponies with some glam rock hair blowing in the wind, and on our mini adventure down to the river, Hannah, Mandy, and I discovered an Irish frog! It was yellow with black spots and Hannah almost stepped on it, but we didn't get a picture because it was too fast. Maybe when Mandy puts photos up she will let me steal some to post on here because she brought her camera. Anyways, it was a really fun hike and we were very VERY fortunate that it didn't rain because it would have felt like bullets on our faces.

Today I'm pretty much just lounging around. It's still raining and it's supposed to do so throughout the weekend. It's okay with me I guess, but I wanted to explore a little and it looks like that won't happen. I'll probably go to the studio tomorrow to get some more work done, maybe stretch another canvas and do a few more self portraits before I start one of the real portraits.


No comments:

Post a Comment