Thursday, April 7, 2011

Charleville Castle Photos

Finally, photos!

So first up are the interior and exterior photos I did for my self assigned project. I was mostly focusing on interiors in which the mood of the space was determined by light. Like I said before, it was a lot of fun since the light was so beautiful in the building. I've also included some of the exteriors I took just so you could get an idea of the size of the buildings and what they looked like on the outside.

In the basement


The dungeon

The castle!

The inside courtyard of the dilapidated stables


Inside the stables




The exterior of the stables


There were a couple nice cats and a really nice dog that live there too =)

The Entrance

The Ballroom, where we spent the night. This room had incredible light due to the giant windows.




The lovely colors of the sunset


So the staircase is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the castle. Back when the building was owned by royalty, one of the Earl's daughters, Harriet, fell to her death from the third floor and she is said to play games with people. I didn't have any encounter with her, but this photo below pretty much depicts how most of my group felt about the staircase, haha.


This is the other most haunted room in the castle, the library. I found this room to be my favorite, actually. The setting of the room was cozy and the lighting was straight out of a Vermeer painting. Gorgeous. I spend a good amount of time in this room. I also spent some alone time at night in there, no ghosts though.

View of the staircase from the library


The upper most level of the castle is mostly in shambles. The owners are doing renovations, but since they only have volunteers helping there is only so much they can do. It's pretty bad up there, but the lighting is still wonderful.



I have to admit, of all the scary places in the castle, this hallway scared me the most. Why? Because the floorboards felt so loose! While my classmates were nervous about paranormal activity, I was afraid of falling through the old, antique floors, haha.

View of the top of the staircase from the nursery. I didn't take any photos of Harriet's nursery because it is a MESS and a half. The owners, in my opinion, really need to work on spotlighting a few places and making them look nice, especially the ones that hold so much history.

The view from where Harriet fell.

One of the best trees I have ever seen. It's right at the entrance to the castle driveway and it's pretty much the best climbing tree ever. I climbed it, and I approve.

As I said in my previous post about the castle, I took some portraits and self portraits as well, even though they weren't in my agenda. With all that gorgeous light, I couldn't help myself, haha. So here are the self portraits:







And here are the portraits:




Oh yeah! My friend Caitlin (oh, did I tell you btw that there are 4 Caitlins including me?), anyways, she made this dress from scratch without a pattern. Her assignment was to wear the dress around the castle for the entire time and have other people document her in it. (She also took some pinhole photos of herself with it on). Of course once I started doing portraits I had to photograph her. Look at that light! Anyways, I'm incredibly impressed with her workmanship with this dress, it was gorgeous, and so is she!






To finish up this post I took a few fun photos, though I wasn't carrying my camera everywhere I went so I don't have that many.

Dinner in the haunted kitchen.

Maggie and Mandy being polite and fancy =)

Zombies!!!!! For Shawn's zombie project. They looked so legit!
(From left to right: Emerson, Mandy, Meghann, Alyssa, and Hannah)

Aaaand some hair braiding in the morning.

Yup, so overall I would say it was a successful trip! I hope you guys like the photos =)

No comments:

Post a Comment